Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Orientation, Indian Food, Proms

Today was a very busy day. It began with me waking up at 6am, getting ready, laying in bed for a while, then heading down to Great Russell Street to go to our mandatory orientation. LOTS of information, but I found out that I can go to ALL of the plays and ALL of the field trips for FREE, regardless of if I'm enrolled in the course or not. Wooo! Gotta love Grinnell and its endowment...the Oberlin kids have to pay for tickets and admission and all that.

We had an hour break for lunch, and instead of following the pack to Pret A Manger, Joey, Mali and I broke off to find some Indian food. We found a little place near the FSU study centre and I ordered my first chicken pakora, which was OUTRAGEOUSLY good, and only cost three pounds.

After orientation, we rambled back to the flat to grab a quick bite to eat before going (via tube) to the Royal Albert Hall to see the annual BBC Proms concert. It's called proms because people can buy five pound tickets and stand ("promenade") at the front pit. We had seats, and we enjoyed Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky (sp?) played by a chamber orchestra. It was really a lot of fun, but I'm beginning to realize how energy-draining it is to LIVE everyday in a big city. Just getting around takes a lot of effort, or at least more than getting in your car and driving right where you need to go.

So, tomorrow is our free day. I'm thinking I'll light out for the territories (i.e. go out on my own) and check out either the Tate or the Tate Modern, again, both of which are free to the public. Solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers