Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 1, Part 1

Good morning! Well, not so much for Malory (my roomate) who has come down with a mysterious case of nausea/the barfs. She's been sick all morning, and though she doesn't feel particularly ill, we've sent out Joey and Mali to get some Pepto Bismol for her at the local Sainsbury's.

This morning, I woke up before 8am and realized that the "coffee mate" I bought yesterday was not actually coffee, but that nasty powdered creamer stuff. Thus, I ventured out in the early morning to afore-mentioned Sainsbury's to get real coffee. The morning has been spent reading the September issue of Vogue and various London travel guides. In the flat, there's a Lonely Planet guide, as well as one on day trips from London, which will be useful. Mostly, I'm just trying to acclimate and get a feel for the city from the books, so that I can be a little more informed when I'm wandering around.

This afternoon, the six of us are going to our "welcome tea" at the FSU teaching site in Bloomsbury, right next to the British museum. We'll meet up with our other Grinnell-in-Londoners and meet the Oberlin kids, as well as our professors. Exciting! Hopefully I will be able to pick up all the books I ordered for my classes, too. That's all for now.

Also, I plan to be online (skype, facebook chat) tonight. I probably will be most nights, as I am 5 or 6 hours ahead of my bebes in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers