Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

JMW Turner, Steak

Today, I was off to a late start. I woke up around noon, rolled out of bed, slugged around for a bit, then finally decided I wanted to see Turner's paintings at the Tate Britain. They have the largest Turner collection (I think) in the world, and, being a big fan, I knew I had to go. So, I grabbed Joey and Mali and we set out for the museum.

First, though, there had to be coffee. We stopped at the Starbucks next to our flat and I discovered a telling detail... at Starbucks in the UK, they have mugs that you can use if you choose to have your drink in the shop. I've NEVER seen that in Starbucks in the US... you only have the option of the "to-go" cup. Interesting...

Once at the Tate, we headed straight for the Turner galleries. They were unbelievable. In the summer of 2008, I saw an exhibition of Turner paintings at the Met in NYC, and I fell in love there, so it was pretty amazing to see even MORE of his work. We also went through some of the British historical paintings, and we saw some really awesome paintings, which I included in this post.

At around 4, we got tired and started for home. Once back in our flat, I decided that tonight was definitely a steak night. Using what little implements were included with the flat, I managed to blanche some fresh broccoli and fry up 5 or 6 thinly sliced steaks. Surprisingly, the meal wasn't too shabby. Plus, I had a glass of my new favorite beer, Stella Artois. Tonight, we've committed to hitting up a pub or two, and we're going to investigate a "disco" to see if we can't dance a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers