Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

British Museum, Fish & Chips, Tottenham Court Road

Today began with me, Malory and Mali waking up at the stroke of noon. I thought I was going to get away with no jet-lag, but alas, it finally caught up with me. After a quick scramble to get ready, we set out for the British Museum, which is literally a block away from the FSU Study Centre. We began by scoping out the Ancient Greece galleries, and I absolutely loved the Parthenon Gallery. It was a quick trip this time, but I'm sure I will be at the museum a lot this semester.



Ever the individualist, I decided to break off from my flat-mates to explore the city by myself. At around 14:30 (that's 2:30pm for all you yanks...) my stomach started rumbling, and, finding myself in London, I decided to splurge and treat myself to fish and chips. I found a little hole in the wall place called Munchkins on Great Russell Street and tucked into my golden, fried fish. Noticing the vinegar bottle on the table, I resisted dousing everything in ketchup (catsup?) and opted for a true Brit meal. The vinegar was a great choice.



After a late lunch, I wandered up Tottenham Court Road, which connects Great Russell Street and Euston Road (Great Portland Street is right off Euston Road). It was a little touristy, but not too bad. I scoped out a few places I want to eat at this semester, including an Indian place and a vegetarian buffet. The lunch specials are only 3 or 4 quid (pounds)! Before heading for home, I stopped at Sainsbury's and picked up some groceries, including British "fry steaks" and a big bottle of Stella Artois. All in all, a pretty sweet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers